I forgot to check my schedule, so I'll know better tomorrow, but it doesn't look good. Working mornings doesn't mesh well with this :(

Here it is guys! Key Frames, Episode 02 - I Have No Coffee And I Must Scream

Starring:

Gormongous as Ben

Twig and Jon

N1njaSquirrel as Andy

Show Notes:

Reminder: Our next spotlight anime is Dallos! If you'd like to speak on said podcast, please fill in your availabilities here (for 11th-12th July) . You can watch it here, or if you don't have the correct worldly location to watch it legally, there might be a more scrupulous avenue here!

Finally,  a little PSA: It appears that we have hit the free limit on Soundcloud. does anyone know of a good alternative to host these pods?

If you want these pods to still be free, I'm not sure. But if you want to pay for hosting, Libsyn provides a good service.

EDIT: Also: yay, new episode!

I honestly think that this is our best episode yet. Even though we talk about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure for over twenty minutes, I think we get a great back-and-forth going and make a good talk about our various shows. I do what I think is the best job that I've done yet of making a defense of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

If you want these pods to still be free, I'm not sure. But if you want to pay for hosting, Libsyn provides a good service.

EDIT: Also: yay, new episode!

I have a hosting plan that I never come anywhere near hitting the limits on. If y'all want to pick up a domain, I can probably set up access for a few different accounts real quick and you can piggyback on that. Or i can set them up not so quick, depending on how dumb I am about how the process works.

I honestly think that this is our best episode yet.

Except for the part where I basically rant to myself about a shitty Dragon Ball Z movie. Well, I mean, I like that part, but listening to it, I'm like who in their right mind wants to hear me talk about this!

Also honestly I could just add a new domain to my webhost and start throwing the episodes up there. We don't really need anything more than an RSS feed (for now), right? I mean if we make it big (haha), my current hosting plan won't be able to keep up with bandwidth costs, buuuuut until that point?

I have a hosting plan that I never come anywhere near hitting the limits on. If y'all want to pick up a domain, I can probably set up access for a few different accounts real quick and you can piggyback on that. Or i can set them up not so quick, depending on how dumb I am about how the process works.

Also honestly I could just add a new domain to my webhost and start throwing the episodes up there. We don't really need anything more than an RSS feed (for now), right? I mean if we make it big (haha), my current hosting plan won't be able to keep up with bandwidth costs, buuuuut until that point?

Either works. I just had a friend complain that they can't listen to Episode 00 anymore (and SoundCloud has a shitty "file not found" error message for "hidden" files that makes the person think it was deleted, which caused some panic), so we should do something sooner or later.

Except for the part where I basically rant to myself about a shitty Dragon Ball Z movie. Well, I mean, I like that part, but listening to it, I'm like who in their right mind wants to hear me talk about this!

If it helps, I really enjoyed that chat. It made me laugh.

I think this was the most on-point podcast but also the one where I understood the least, maybe. Which is part of why I listen, so that's fine.

I think this was the most on-point podcast but also the one where I understood the least, maybe. Which is part of why I listen, so that's fine.

Write in questions to... uh, [email protected]!

Going too "inside baseball" without giving enough context is one of the skills I'm confident everyone will get better at as time passes, overall I think the guys did a good job in shining a light on some of depths anime fandom can run too without descending into that particular abyss

I also think that stopping to explain every facet of anime culture as it comes up would get too tedious for it's own good. When I started listening to Idle Thumbs I didn't get a lot of the developers, games, big news stories, and other stuff that they would casually reference without explanation. Eventually I just caught up.

I also think that stopping to explain every facet of anime culture as it comes up would get too tedious for it's own good. When I started listening to Idle Thumbs I didn't get a lot of the developers, games, big news stories, and other stuff that they would casually reference without explanation. Eventually I just caught up.

Yeah, I'm torn a lot, because right now, a lot of the pleasure I get out of watching anime is recognizing directorial choices, design styles, or vocal quirks and correlating them to cast and crew between shows. That's why I always jump upon a seiyuu whose work I know, even though I can tell just from my co-hosts' reactions that going into Orikasa Fumiko's frankly unbelievable voice-acting pedigree is maximally uninteresting to most people. I'm getting better, I only mention seiyuu and character designers when they're actually relevant now, which is why I didn't mention them at all in this past episode!

EDIT: Correction, in our most recent episode, I looked up Chie's seiyuu, Sawashiro Miyuki, and then gushed about her obvious range. I'm the worst, I don't even realize that I'm doing it.

I think mentioning seiyuu and all that is fine -- that's something a fan could feasibly know -- but maybe explain things that someone who doesn't follow season to season wouldn't know. It's a fine line to walk -- what would someone who's an anime fan would know, but what is something someone who doesn't follow anime season to season wouldn't know? -- but it's a line to notice, because at least I walk it. I don't know how many other people walk that line, but it works for me.

If that's the movie that I think it is, then I do.  It's been like 16 years since I have seen that movie...  Bring on the nostalga for meee~

That's the movie where the bad namekian goes super large in the very end?  I remember his arm stretching super long before he gets owned or something.

Yeah he gets real big for some reason.

Oh hey the previous episode has been recorded and is being edited and for the next episode, to be recorded the weekend of July 25 and 26, we'll be discussing The Garden of Words, directed by Makoto Shinkai! It's available on Crunchyroll (in America, and maybe other places, I'm not sure) if that's your bag.

If you're interested in participating... Sign up!

I finally got around to listening to the latest episode and quite enjoyed it!

Regarding Lord Slug. If I recall correctly, this movie actually took place in the timeline shortly after Gohan, Krillin and Bulma landed on Namek and right around the time Goku lands after training in his space ship in 100x gravity for 10 days. This was at the point in the main DBZ story where Vegeta had started to allude to the concept of Super Saiyans but a few dozen episodes before Goku actually transforms for the first time which explains why his "Super Saiyan" transformation didn't involve the golden hair or anything like that. I don't think they had fully settled on what exactly "Super Saiyan" meant at that point in the story so Lord Slug just had Goku do that weird transformation where his hair stood up and he lost his pupils.

This movie will forever hold a soft spot in my heart though because I watched the version with the Disturbed/Deftones background music about 2 dozen times with my best friend at the time. To this day, every time I hear "Stupify" I think of that Super Saiyan scene and how awesome it seemed at the time. It's too bad Funimation only ever did versions of Lord Slug and Cooler's Revenge with that style of background music because they did a decent job at making those shitty movies just a little less shitty.

Unfortunately, after searching for awhile, this is the best clip I could find of that scene. So nostalgic.

But they're on earth so it couldn't be after they go to namek! Also that dumb dragon is there.

But they're on earth so it couldn't be after they go to namek! Also that dumb dragon is there.

Use Gohan's hair as your guide! In Tree of Might (the movie right before Lord Slug), Gohan already has that stupid bowl cut that Chi Chi gives him right before they get in the spaceship to head to Namek. That means that even Tree of Might took place after the Saiyan battle and right before or possibly after Krillin, Gohan, and Bulma left for Namek.

The concept of Super Saiyan was first mentioned by Vegeta around the time he was sneaking around Namek trying to pick off Dodoria and Zarbon. Then, when Goku lands on Namek and Vegeta sees how awesome Goku has gotten from his training in 100x gravity, he makes the observation that Goku must be a Super Saiyan. I'm pretty sure it's right around this point in the story that Lord Slug would have taken place.

And really, most of the locations in the movies don't really fit all that well with the corresponding timeline in the main series. For instance, in Fusion Reborn, Goku and Vegeta are both dead throughout the whole movie and fight Janenba in the afterlife while everyone else is fighting on Earth. Meanwhile, in the main series, Vegeta is brought back to life pretty quickly after sacrificing himself to try to kill fat Buu and there was never any real period of time where Goku and Vegeta were both dead together. Same goes for Tree of Might. Gohan has that stupid bowl cut which he got after they finished their fight with Vegeta, and yet throughout that movie, they are fighting alongside Yamcha, Tien, and everyone else that should have been dead at that point.

Gohan's hair is the key to everything. I knows my DBZ.

It literally physically cannot have taken place after they reached Namek as the main story of DBZ goes, because they're on Earth. I promise you I know exactly when Super Saiyans were first mentioned!

Also note Piccolo meditating at a waterfall as Gohan flies up to him with his stupid dragon and they whistle their dumb song.

My point is the timeline is fucked. This is an alternate timeline, more commonly referred as Not Canon. I'm well accustomed to this concept. There are many fan theories that actually piece together some of the movies into a semi-coherent, but definitely different, timeline. But even then, not all of the movies fit together. I'll see if I can find the image that I thought was the most amazing thing.

edit: found it

rsXt9.jpg

it's incredible

The only thing I believe is wrong in that image is that Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! is supposedly canon. Toriyama had a part in that, and also Vegeta's brother, Tarble, introduced in that short OVA, is later mentioned in Battle of Gods. Although Battle of Gods (as mentioned in the latest 'cast, which isn't finished being edited!) is currently being retold in Dragon Ball Super (which is so far great!), so it's possible the movie will end up being only semi-canon, depending on how events unfold?

Toriyama whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

I just want to point out that in that parallel timeline in the image you posted, it shows Lord Slug taking place at the same point where they are fighting the Ginyu Force in the main series. Which is exactly around the time Goku shows up on Namek. Which is really what I've been trying to get at. In this fucked alternate movie timeline, Lord Slug takes place at the same point in the main timeline where they are all on Namek.

And that image is freaking awesome. Thanks for sharing!