I guess perhaps you don't want to do it on the podcast because it might tie it to these forums too directly, but could you list here which person goes by which handle? Also, I especially want to know who it is that sounds like Kieron Gillen!

Haha, for what it's worth, I think we are keeping it closely tied to the forums. I don't remember why we decided to use real names over forum handles. Maybe because calling someone "ninja squirrel" or "twig" just feels weird.

Anyway.

Gorm is Ben.

NinjaSquirrel is Andy.

Codi is Duncan. (I'm assuming this is the Kieron Gillen wannabe, as we're all American besides Codi and NinjaSquirrel!)

Twig is Jon.

Blambo is Ray.

This upcoming episode has Ben, myself, and a newcomer Delerat (I think we end up calling him Delerat, as that's what he preferred since he's another Andrew, like Blambo).

I barely know anything about anime, so this might only be my problem, but it felt like a few times you were talking about things being good or bad but not why. For instance, that whole bit where you were talking about powers like the guy with a demon face on his back - you were pretty much just listing stuff that I thought sounded interesting or cool, but laughing at them as if they were self-evidently awful. Plus I felt a couple of times like it might have helped to focus the flow of discussion if the presenters got into the habit of briefly stating their position or thought on something first and then illustrating it. Again, this might be because I'm missing Anime 101 unspoken connections, but sometimes I felt like I was listening to you describe an aspect of a thing without understanding what your point or opinion was.

We definitely name-dropped a million different anime(s?) without really going into detail. I tried to be better about that on this upcoming episode. Hopefully I succeeded!

Hmm, I didn't realize everyone else was using real names. I'm going to think about whether I should change that or not...

Maybe Gorm should update the original post with our names and some short blurb about the podcast, and eventually a link to wherever we're hosting it.

Haha, for what it's worth, I think we are keeping it closely tied to the forums. I don't remember why we decided to use real names over forum handles. Maybe because calling someone "ninja squirrel" or "twig" just feels weird.

Anyway.

Gorm is Ben.

NinjaSquirrel is Andy.

Codi is Duncan. (I'm assuming this is the Kieron Gillen wannabe, as we're all American besides Codi and NinjaSquirrel!)

Twig is Jon.

Blambo is Ray.

This upcoming episode has Ben, myself, and a newcomer Delerat (I think we end up calling him Delerat, as that's what he preferred since he's another Andrew, like Blambo).

We definitely name-dropped a million different anime(s?) without really going into detail. I tried to be better about that on this upcoming episode. Hopefully I succeeded!

I'm not sure the false Gillen is necessarily me, neither you or gorm have strong accents, but now I'm curious as to which one of us it is.

So bellow I provide a handy identification guide:

Gorm is Ben

Our host and a man who bravely set forth to see if anime was the route to a ladies heart

NinjaSquirrel is Andy.

The man who revealed the truth behind 'nice boat'

Codi is Duncan.

The idiot who talks about why key frames are important on a podcast called key frames.

(Ok maybe it wasn't called that when we recorded but I still think posterity will judge me a muppet).

Twig is Jon.

The guy who made a Star Wars joke (nuff said)

Blambo is Ray.

Prime dispenser of puns, and hater of all things Moe

Thanks for the name guides!

It wasn't this so much - there's no way I will have heard of 99% of the stuff discussed - it's more like when one of you says something like "and they both have talking swords, which is a dreadful thing to write in" and I'm thinking "sounds pretty cool to me, is this dreadful because it's an overdone thing in anime or does it not fit with the style of the show or..?" It wasn't constant, just something I noticed a couple of times and, as I say, could just be a noob issue on my part.

Ah. I'm not sure what specifically you're referring to, but if I ever said something was awful, it's in that kind of awful way that I love. Like Dragon Ball! I think it's safe to say that out of all the people regularly participating in the anime thread, I probably watch the most trash anime. Well, NinjaSquirrel probably gives me a run for my money!

It wasn't this so much - there's no way I will have heard of 99% of the stuff discussed - it's more like when one of you says something like "and they both have talking swords, which is a dreadful thing to write in" and I'm thinking "sounds pretty cool to me, is this dreadful because it's an overdone thing in anime or does it not fit with the style of the show or..?" It wasn't constant, just something I noticed a couple of times and, as I say, could just be a noob issue on my part.

You're right, I felt bad myself for dropping a quick rant on how awful Baki the Grappler is and not actually walking the hypothetical listener through why its awful things weren't outrageous instead. With Baki, it's mostly just that everything supposedly awesome happens by writer fiat and doesn't really have any follow-through, so his dad who's so powerful that his muscles make a demon face on his back and who murdered the president of the United States in hand-to-hand combat after calling ahead to warn him that he was going to do it is just kind of there in the story and no one seems to be fully aware of how absurd and impossible it all is.

My only experience with Baki is my friend was watching it on a school computer a few years ago and it was two dudes checking eachother out in the locker room. Then the muscle drawings got a little out of control. He was all for it though.

I was sort of hoping you guys would make fun of Baki for a while.

My only experience with Baki is my friend was watching it on a school computer a few years ago and it was two dudes checking eachother out in the locker room. Then the muscle drawings got a little out of control. He was all for it though.

I was sort of hoping you guys would make fun of Baki for a while.

I could have gone on for a while, actually, but when it became clear that no one else had seen it or even heard of it, I figured it was a waste of everyone's time for me to wax eloquent about this bizarrely homoerotic fighting anime...

Haha, maybe another time then? I looked up some drawings just to refresh my memory and the renderings of the muscles are almost painful. Plus that baby face Baki perpetually has. I assume that the redhead is Baki anyway.

01.jpg

Amazing.

Haha, maybe another time then? I looked up some drawings just to refresh my memory and the renderings of the muscles are almost painful.

Yeah, it's incredible that there are at least two people on this green earth (the author of the manga and the director of the anime) who love throbbing, veiny, hernia-type muscles that much.

Wow that picture is strangely mesmerizing.

Amazing.

My thought exactly but not sure what kind of amazing it is.  That babyface is just too much.

Edit: did google image search of Baki, wtf lol

Only Andy/NinjaSqiurrel sounded tinny/skypey to me, but I could hear what he was saying well enough.

Yeah, I really did. I'm working on it though!

I barely know anything about anime, so this might only be my problem, but it felt like a few times you were talking about things being good or bad but not why. For instance, that whole bit where you were talking about powers like the guy with a demon face on his back - you were pretty much just listing stuff that I thought sounded interesting or cool, but laughing at them as if they were self-evidently awful. Plus I felt a couple of times like it might have helped to focus the flow of discussion if the presenters got into the habit of briefly stating their position or thought on something first and then illustrating it. Again, this might be because I'm missing Anime 101 unspoken connections, but sometimes I felt like I was listening to you describe an aspect of a thing without understanding what your point or opinion was.

Lady Squirrel also voiced the same opinions too. Also that I was wrong in a lot of instances/cases, especially about School Days. I certainly aspire to explain my references more!

Ah. I'm not sure what specifically you're referring to, but if I ever said something was awful, it's in that kind of awful way that I love. Like Dragon Ball! I think it's safe to say that out of all the people regularly participating in the anime thread, I probably watch the most trash anime. Well, NinjaSquirrel probably gives me a run for my money!

I dunno, I feel like we're on even ground in this aspect. I have to confess, I have never watched DBZ. Started watchin DB though.

Lady Squirrel also voiced the same opinions too. Also that I was wrong in a lot of instances/cases

the-sword-in-the-stone-48.png

You know looking at that stuff my memory tells me maybe Claymore is the only series i can remember which seemed to fetishise muscles even more (even compared to what i guess was it's nearest progenitor Berserk)

Also I'm hoping next episode will be ready, tomorrow or monday at the latest. It all depends how good the british weather is.

Also also, dammit ben i need to know who are secret gillen is

Well Gillen is from the UK and you and NinjaSquirrel are the only people with a non-American accent and he said not NinjaSquirrel, so that's why I said it was you. U:

Warning: obnoxious Japanese screamo music.

Haha, is that the original song?!

Also what does OP and ED stand for? I know they are the opening titles and ending titles and that they often can have separate directors from the show itself, but are they just abbreviations of "opening" and "ending" or something else entirely?

Okay so here's the other part of that Baki the Grappler story: It's my "tough guy" friend Jesus, who once called me gay for ordering a strawberry soda because apparently in Mexico they don't drink those there without a stigma(???). Yet later I see him watching this anime with glistening bulging muscles right at this super awkward locker room scene and he says it's pretty bad ass with a straight face. Totally doesn't get what I'm laughing at.

Haha, is that the original song?!

Also what does OP and ED stand for? I know they are the opening titles and ending titles and that they often can have separate directors from the show itself, but are they just abbreviations of "opening" and "ending" or something else entirely?

Okay so here's the other part of that Baki the Grappler story: It's my "tough guy" friend Jesus, who once called me gay for ordering a strawberry soda because apparently in Mexico they don't drink those there without a stigma(???). Yet later I see him watching this anime with glistening bulging muscles right at this super awkward locker room scene and he says it's pretty bad ass with a straight face. Totally doesn't get what I'm laughing at.

I always understood it to be simply OP=opening titles ED=End titles,

I always read it as "Opening Promotion", but I never quite figured what the ED would be. Probably just some weird Japan-exclusive abbreviation that caught on. 

Yeah I suppose I was wondering if it were something a little bit less obvious, a strange abbreviation like OVA, since it seems to exclusively Japanese productions that credit animators as "ED director" and such. Can't seem to find anything that says otherwise though.

Gormongous, you goof, you need to edit the link to the 'cast into the original post! I just went off to identify the Kieron-alike (it's the guy who pronounces it anim-ee and is an art school graduate who started with Perfect Blue, Akira and Spirited Away, I think that's Codicier) and it took me ages to find the damn link!

btw, if anyone starts a manga podcast, they should call it "You're Reading In The Wrong Direction!"

Yeah I suppose I was wondering if it were something a little bit less obvious, a strange abbreviation like OVA, since it seems to exclusively Japanese productions that credit animators as "ED director" and such. Can't seem to find anything that says otherwise though.

As far as I know, it's just a weird thing where "opening" and "ending" were transliterated into Japanese, then an abbreviation made from the first "letter" of the first two syllabic characters. Hence we get something like OPening and EnDing.

"ending" japanified would be "e-n-di-n-gu", though, making EN the first two syllabic (katakana, probably, not hiragana, unless it's a weird exception!) characters!

U:

"opening" would work, though, as it'd probably be "o-pe-ni-n-gu"

"ending" japanified would be "e-n-di-n-gu", though, making EN the first two syllabic (katakana, probably, not hiragana, unless it's a weird exception!) characters!

Hmm, you're right: エンディング. Oh well, next theory!