I was actually stunned how long we talked about that damn movie.

I was stunned that Blambo & Twig almost (but not quite) made a simple but actually fairly robust case for why it probably shouldn't be hated as much as it is

I'm pretty proud of the fact that my sick joke turned into an actual discussion. :3

Also wow that is a long list of namedrops!

Also wow that is a long list of namedrops!

We are awful. Also, easily a third are from me alone, for which I'm privately atoning.

Really great work, you guys.

Now do another one.

Every week.

For several years.

Really great work, you guys.

Now do another one.

Every week.

For several years.

You're coming on at least one. We talked about the Rurouni Kenshin manga for maybe five minutes and I couldn't say a single thing because I didn't want to reveal that I hadn't read the manga but had watched all of the anime, even the unwatchably bad back half. That was a big podcast trouble for me, but it shows that manga talk is totes legit!

Hey I also watched all of the anime and didn't read the manga!

...):

Hey I also watched all of the anime and didn't read the manga!

...):

New segment: terrible Rurouni Kenshin filler episode review!

When you guys started talking about "Gorilla Guy", this is the first and only face that came to mind.

post-31977-0-86513400-1432768141.jpeg

And I found this by Googling "Gorilla guy from sons of anarchy".

It was cool hearing all of your voices and I think the episode turned out well!

I was stunned that Blambo & Twig almost (but not quite) made a simple but actually fairly robust case for why it probably shouldn't be hated as much as it is

I was mostly talking about how midichlorians aren't as bad as people say, and I was gonna mention that the science is so bullshit that it might as well be magic, but then we actually started talking about anime. What a weird thing to bring up!

I still kind of hate that movie.

Also gotta mention; mad props to Codicier for being a hero and editing 5 tracks of nearly 3 hours of audio down to a manageable size and quality!

I finished listening. A couple thoughts:

1. Full Metal Alchemist didn't click all that much with me either. It was good enough for me to get through it all but I felt like a lot of it was a little too childish and predictable. Those last 10-15 episodes were pretty good though so I was happy that I stuck through till the end.

2. I was actually recently looking for a good tear-jerker anime to get into and saw a lot of people praising Clannad After Story as the tear-jerkiest of all tear-jerkers. It sounded like one of you mentioned Clannad in a positive light so... should I watch it? Any major bugaboos I should be aware of?

When you guys started talking about "Gorilla Guy", this is the first and only face that came to mind.

attachicon.gifGorillaGuy.jpeg

And I found this by Googling "Gorilla guy from sons of anarchy".

It was cool hearing all of your voices and I think the episode turned out well!

in googling to find an image i discovered there's a live action version of gorilla guy...

tumblr_nmp9k0aolW1qa0mm4o1_1280.jpg

anyway i haven't seen any clannad so i can only link the manga version of gorilla guy as penance

GarMQwb.jpg

Watching Yuri Kuma I never thought why there are bears and I think you are right about it being a word plucked out of a hat.

I've been watching/reading a bunch of yuri lately because I need more gay shit in my life. Do an episode about that.

I've been watching/reading a bunch of yuri lately because I need more gay shit in my life. Do an episode about that.

No lie, I would love for an expert on yuri to watch all of Yuri Kuma Arashi and tell us all for sure if there's a functional allegory/deconstruction there. Ikuhara hasn't gone so far as to allude that Yuri Kuma Arashi is Evangelion for yuri, but he's sure enjoyed other people saying it, so I'm still in suspense, even after having watched the anime. Also, it would be a good excuse for me to stop watching Crest of the Stars and start watching Aoi Hana like I've always meant to do.

Has there been decent mainstream anime with yuri elements? Utena comes to mind, but I haven't watched that (I just kinda know from osmosis what it's kind of about). Also this seems like it deserves a watch in a weird anime canon way.

I finished listening. A couple thoughts:

1. Full Metal Alchemist didn't click all that much with me either. It was good enough for me to get through it all but I felt like a lot of it was a little too childish and predictable. Those last 10-15 episodes were pretty good though so I was happy that I stuck through till the end.

2. I was actually recently looking for a good tear-jerker anime to get into and saw a lot of people praising Clannad After Story as the tear-jerkiest of all tear-jerkers. It sounded like one of you mentioned Clannad in a positive light so... should I watch it? Any major bugaboos I should be aware of?

Clannad also seems consistently recommended. Would like to echo the possible bugaboo question.

Have you seen Mushishi? It's really sad in weird ways.

I wanted really bad to discuss occult-detective anime like Mushishi or Mononoke on the podcast but I feel like it wouldn't have expanded to anything beyond that, and we were already an hour in without talking about LWA. Maybe a future "let's all watch" thing?

Also Paranoia Agent.

"Art Anime" week.

I wanted really bad to discuss occult-detective anime like Mushishi or Mononoke on the podcast but I feel like it wouldn't have expanded to anything beyond that, and we were already an hour n without talking about LWA. Maybe a future "let's all watch" thing?

There's the double-episode OVA that announced the second season. That would qualify!

Yes! Watch it! Watch Clannad first, then the alt story with tomoyo (the real girl he should have got with. A real tear-jerker this episode was), and the After Story.

The major bugaboos that people who I know who have given it a go are: It's from a Key Studio light novel game, which has characteristically very huge eyes and small mouths. More so than most anime, which put a lot of my friends off. Also expect your usual light novel affair tropes, like girls running with toast in their mouths. 

If you can get past those minor gripes, you'll enjoy it greatly. 

I enjoyed this! Admittedly I know nothing about anime, so it was mostly just me nodding my head and trying to keep up (it's very hard to Google anime terms if you don't know how to spell them) but I think I got the gist of it all.

There is the typical "I don't know who's voice belongs to who" situation that you get the first time listening to any podcast, but I think more thorough introductions are in order. Even if it's just your names and where you live, it might help me distinguish you from one another (since you're using your real names and not forum names).

Also what the hell is the idol industry? I feel like an explanation started and then stopped suddenly.

Have you seen Mushishi? It's really sad in weird ways.

Yes, Mushishi is really great. I still need to catch up on the most recent episodes though.

Yes! Watch it! Watch Clannad first, then the alt story with tomoyo (the real girl he should have got with. A real tear-jerker this episode was), and the After Story.

The major bugaboos that people who I know who have given it a go are: It's from a Key Studio light novel game, which has characteristically very huge eyes and small mouths. More so than most anime, which put a lot of my friends off. Also expect your usual light novel affair tropes, like girls running with toast in their mouths. 

If you can get past those minor gripes, you'll enjoy it greatly. 

Okay, then it looks like I'll be watching Clannad next (assuming it's on Hulu or Netflix)! Those types of things don't bother me at all.

One more thing: It takes a bit long for the real drama to start. I think the first tear-jerker for me was around episode 10 ish? Was worth the wait though.

Also what the hell is the idol industry? I feel like an explanation started and then stopped suddenly.

I'm really glad you enjoyed this! I also felt like my description of the idol industry was crappy and rushed, and my rant (although I haven't got to it yet) was crap and made me sound like an awful person. I shall explain it better when I get home (I'm at work atm). A super quick summary is: Simon Cowell's pop-making machine, but gone completely invisible as to it's process and everyone's fine with it. Examples are AKB48 and Jhonny's bands like Arashi and Kiss my ft 2. (side note: Japanese bands have the worst names, and they're always hilarious.)

It's really nice to see people enjoyed this one.

When we recorded it felt like there was some good stuff there, but wrangling those 2hrs or so of recording together was tricky.

Id like to know from both listeners and participants whether they felt I got the balance right between keeping the audio clean and understandable and sounding like a natural conversation.

I ended up with a policy that if someone wasn't part of a conversation id sometimes end up editing their laughter out to stop thing getting too cacophonous, and that laughter that went on more than a few seconds would get trimmed if possible, & when people talked over each other I time shifted the ones which seemed pertinent and which worked together as a flow.

The two thing i considered fixing but ended up not. 1.there were some time delays on some people laughter on the recording which i could have fixed by moving them in the timeline so they & others overlapped more,  &  2.when laughter did overlap considered bringing everyone's laughter down by a few dbs not hugely but just enough so the overall noise level of the final mix was less.

I think you did a great job of editing everything together. It sounded natural and I was able to pretty clearly hear everyone.

I didn't finish the whole thing, but I liked what I heard! I didn't recognize most of the stuff you guys talked about, but I enjoyed the discussions and everyone seemed pretty natural. Good work everyone. Pretty good stuff for a first recording. Any plans for a second yet? 

The sound was excellent. You could hear the Skypiness shine through with certain hosts, but that's more a result of their mics than anything else.

Thought I'd springboard a few suggestions for future discussions:

-The Big Damn Ghibli Episode

-Food in Anime

-LGBT in Japan

-Episode 2.22: This is (Not) the Evangelion Episode

-Summer Wars is Basically a Perfect Movie

-Osamu Tezuka

-Moe: Threat or Menace?

-How Low Animation Budgets Shaped the Aesthetics of Anime

-"Gender and Its Place in Japanese Media" (or "Why Women in Hentai Always Sound Like They're In Pain")

-Magical Girls

-Anime Influence on Western Media