I would say you have time to figure the format out, so don't worry about any little games or time fillers yet. Honestly, with it being new, you don't need it to be that long at the get go. You won't know the chemistry between people yet, or where your tangents normally go, and knowing that will help structure the podcast more narrowly if you need to.

I like the idea of doing it book club style, watching one movie or episode/season of a show and then discussing it. That would be really interesting to listen to even if I didn't know who was talking, or if I hadn't seen it myself.

Have you thought about doing a short news segment or anything? I find they're best if kept to just 1 or 2 of the biggest or most interesting news items. Whatever will spur discussion.

I might volunteer to do production as well as being on occasionally if you guys want. This weekend is really busy for me though, so my availability is crap.

Oh man, I actually have seen Little Witch Academia.  I just didn't realize it until I saw that screenshot.  However I'm still not a good candidate to have on the podcast because I have nothing interesting to say about it and know zip about the second one.

On the subject of podcast "bits", I'm with Gormongous.  If they arise naturally through the course of discussion and interaction between people, then I think its fine.  But trying to plan them out in advance is probably going to make them sound artificial and practiced.  Having a general outline is good but I'd avoid getting too specific, especially at such an early stage in the podcast's life.

Fun fact: Little Witch Academia's director and character designer Yoh Yoshinari is a big fan of western comics and cartoons, he even snuck a neat Hellboy reference in LWA!

As a huge Mike Mignola (& Hellboy in particular) fan i'm always glad to see a reference to his work poping up anywhere, & tbh knowing Hellboy's luck he was probably wandering through that dungeon when something bad happened and the rest of him is buried underneath that big old pile of trash with only Hand of Doom poking up.

biggest reference/tribute I've come across in anime to Hellboy though was the credits of Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2QvpCuHfDE

hope you enjoy it :D

Also, I watched a bunch of episodes of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei a few years ago but I guess I dropped it before seeing this, I remember feeling like I was missing out on 50% of the jokes because of all the commentary and references to modern Japan, maybe I should give it another try, specially if the creators are Hellboy fans  :)

Being obsessed with Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei was actually a big catalyst for me to become a lot more educated in Japanese culture as a whole. Looking at it from the other end of that process, I can say with certainty that a lot of what seem to be pop-culture references are intentional nonsense or repetitive harping on local politics and sports. It's not as overwhelming as it is in the manga, where every volume has at least one jab at the stylish glasses-wearing architect or the manga-reading prime minister whose names I can't remember right now, but there definitely is a lot of noise in the anime that Shinbo's incredibly talented direction makes seem like signal.

I really recommend you just watch it and ignore the pop-culture stuff that you don't immediately get. The best bits (Kafuka Fuura singing "lyrics" to Traumerei in the first episode of the second season, for example) are almost always culture-agnostic, anyway.

I had to stop watching Zetsubou-Sensei because it was too tiresome to keep pausing the episode to read all the insane explanations of all the insane jokes. A 20 minute episode would easily take 35 minutes to digest! (It was pretty funny though, and I mean this in the best way.)

Okay... It has officially been a week since I ordered my mic on Amazon and it hasn't even progressed past "order received." Looks like I'll be asking my actor friend if I can borrow his Snowball for this weekend!

That sucks to hear gor! :(

A quick look at the Doodle poll, and it looks like the best time for everyone is 17:00 – 19:00 (GMT) on Sunday. The only two maybes are Blambo and Delerat.

The other option is a 6 hour block that we can all do on Saturday, apart from Delerat. :(

I'm going to try to guarantee that Sunday slot by later today. So, within 4 or 5 hours I should know.

Codicier, if you ever can't do the audio editing/production stuff, I'd like to be the fallback. Really want to cut my teeth on that process.

I'm going to try to guarantee that Sunday slot by later today. So, within 4 or 5 hours I should know.

Codicier, if you ever can't do the audio editing/production stuff, I'd like to be the fallback. Really want to cut my teeth on that process.

Actually, Sunday is looking worse and worse for me, because of family stuff, but I'll try to make it work somehow and let everyone know if it doesn't.

Recording sounds 'ok' but yeah, it just sounds 'ok'.  I'll have to get something better for the future but for now I'll sort of exist as backup cause I can be available for almost any time but my mic is just so-so.

If anyone's curious, recording went well, albeit a bit long, which is to be expected from five anime enthusiasts (or rather, four anime enthusiasts and one skeptic). Codicier is now graciously editing our individual tracks, although I'm unsure yet whether it's worthy of release. Regardless, I'm looking forward to recording our next proper episode!

Also, not that he'll read this for days, but thanks to Roderick for the C01U recommendation. I bought the Pro version, with the direct headphone input, and I have been sincerely blown away (IGN.com) by its quality. Truly a great recommendation, although I'm probably going to have to buy a proper stand for it sooner or later, because the tripod that comes with it is a little crap.

I may listen to this but I will probably not understand anything of the shows you guys are talking about.

Well, it's still up in the air whether we're even going to release it immediately or even at all. It'll probably depend on whether the editing salvages any quality moments out of it, although it definitely accomplished its primary goal of establishing whether such a podcast is workable.

We discussed GintamaYuri Kuma ArashiDeath ParadeKuroko's BasketballOre Monogatari, and Little Witch Academia, of course. Out of those six shows, I've only seen two myself, but I managed to talk plenty anyway, for which I am deeply sorry.

I think we also briefly mentioned K-On!, Haruhi, Penguindrum, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Sayonara Zetsubo-Sensei, and Shirobako.

So, what anime shall we discuss next? I'm thinking maybe Shirobako? I know it's recent, but I feel it'll be a touchstone for a lot of later episodes, so maybe it's good to get it out of the way?

I'd be interested in hearing this trial run! So I hope you release it for that reason, plus historical value; besides, everyone knows the first episode of any podcast is going to be shonky- embrace it!

Just so people know roughly what my own plan editing wise it goes a bit like this:

Phase 1 Basic Cleanup:

-Break the podcast into two parts: so the editing program can actually handle it.

-Apply the noise gates, equalisation and the compressor to the track to get rid of the worst background noise, remove any high spikes and hopefully make people sound smoother.

-Manually remove any keyboard typing/squeaky chairs etc

-listen through both parts and look for any big synch probs

I can at this point put up the unedited sections here or after i've done phase 2, it will still be messy but at least no echo, hiss or keyboards clacking away

Phase 2: Conversational Editing:

-Going in and trying to cut out human speech which adds nothing, so general things like grunts of agreement etc that are useful in a conversation but maybe don't actualy serve much purpose for a listener. which can't be removed automatically and which require some judgement.

Phase 3: Content Editing:

- The "Ok did that go anywhere or did we just ramble" part, depending on how people feel about it i cant either go in with a light touch or a slash & burn approach. I'm kinda a over critical SoB so I might write up my notes & post them back to participants before making any of these changes.

Phase 4

-Put parts 1 & 2 all back together plus add any into outro stuf gorm wants me to.

How understandable is it going to be for someone like me who doesn't watch a lot of anime and has only seen (or even heard of really) one* of the things discussed?  Did you guys get into specifics or was it more using the shows as a launching point to talk about broader topics (kind of like Idle Thumbs)?

*That one thing would be Little Witch Academia

I think we also briefly mentioned K-On!, Haruhi, Penguindrum, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Sayonara Zetsubo-Sensei, and Shirobako.

So, what anime shall we discuss next? I'm thinking maybe Shirobako? I know it's recent, but I feel it'll be a touchstone for a lot of later episodes, so maybe it's good to get it out of the way?

We also talked briefly about School RumbleSchool Days, and Oh! Edo Rocket. It was a very broad conversation.

I'm fine with Shirobako being our next (and technically first) spotlight anime? Everyone on the podcast panel wanted desperately to talk more about it, so it makes sense to get it over with.

How understandable is it going to be for someone like me who doesn't watch a lot of anime and has only seen (or even heard of really) one* of the things discussed?  Did you guys get into specifics or was it more using the shows as a launching point to talk about broader topics (kind of like Idle Thumbs)?

*That one thing would be Little Witch Academia

I hope it would be reasonably understandable, even for someone without extensive outside knowledge. Almost all of the anime are new ones, which makes it natural that most people haven't seen them, but discussing them all speaks to anime as a medium and anime as an industry, I think. I don't know, I only heard it while I was a part of it, but it didn't seem entirely (or even mostly) inside baseball.

I haven't seen any of Shirobako at all! X:

I'm not sure about shirobako, since all I have to say about it is my hating moe. Though granted I'm not very far into it.

I'm not sure about shirobako, since all I have to say about it is my hating moe. Though granted I'm not very far into it.

I don't know how to say this in a way that's not a bit brusque, but if the character design of a minority of the cast is the only thing that excites comment from you, in an anime that offers the most extensive and detailed look in fiction at the process and challenges of making anime... I don't know. I'm excited to talk about it and Otaku no Video and Aoi Honoo and The Notenki Memoirs.