Going to test audacity and few of my poor mics to see if any of them are worthwhile.

Audacity's noise removal goes a long way, make sure you test record at the volume you think you'll speak when screaming at other nerds about anime. It's easy to make a quiet voice loud, what you need to watch out for is peaks and pops.

This is how it shows for me set as london GMT currently I'll try inputting some times when I'm back at my desktop just incase ipad plays havoc in some unintended way.

Those are the times I entered, with time zones factored in!

Audacity's noise removal goes a long way, make sure you test record at the volume you think you'll speak when screaming at other nerds about anime. It's easy to make a quiet voice loud, what you need to watch out for is peaks and pops.

I'm brand new to recording so thanks, I would have overlooked stuff like that and made a mess of it :)

This seems like a really cool idea and I have a great audio set up for this. Unfortunately, I barely watch any new anime these days. If you guys decide to do a rewind episode where you cover some old stuff I'd be down for coming on. I guess I still watch new anime movies every once in a while, so that could work out too.

Audacity would work for any local recordings. Once everyone has their local recording going, I recommend a 3-2-1 CLAP for each person, in turn, to make lining the audio files up much easier later.

I'd actually be really interested in some rewind type episodes where people talk about older anime like Cyber City Oeda 808, Sabu and Ichi's Detective Tales, or Cyborg 009. Those kind of old, forgotten gems that have had a lasting impact on genres and aesthetics. I know just enough about the history involved to be interested in learning more, but not enough to really have a meaningful conversation about them myself.

I'd actually be really interested in some rewind type episodes where people talk about older anime like Cyber City Oeda 808, Sabu and Ichi's Detective Tales, or Cyborg 009. Those kind of old, forgotten gems that have had a lasting impact on genres and aesthetics. I know just enough about the history involved to be interested in learning more, but not enough to really have a meaningful conversation about them myself.

I have a plan to watch Space Runaway Ideon, the biggest anime influence on Neon Genesis Evangelion, in celebration of 2015, year of the Third Impact, so giant robots from the early eighties will get some discussion at some point, if only in the "free talk" segment of the podcast.

oh oh can i talk about how bad ev-- *gets stabbed*

Kiddiiiiing!

I voted for my preferred times, which are basically any time besides middle of the night!

I voted for my preferred times, which are basically any time besides middle of the night!

I left out morning slots CST because I am really really not a morning person (unless I'm seeing the dawn from staying up too late), but I can also add those to the polls, because I realize how dickish it is to leave out options I'd rather not have but that might work for other people.

Oh no I probably would have not voted for anything before noon, anyway. The one that's like 2am-4am though I laughed at. I would not be physically able to do that these days. At least not without sounding like an incoherent mess.

...I'll sound like an incoherent mess anyway, though, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Oh no I probably would have not voted for anything before noon, anyway. The one that's like 2am-4am though I laughed at. I would not be physically able to do that these days. At least not without sounding like an incoherent mess.

...I'll sound like an incoherent mess anyway, though, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Twig, between you and me, half the podcast is going to be self-deprecating comments about ourselves.

I put 1:00 to 3:00 in the morning because it's the latest I could possibly do, but I know that that makes it insanely early in the morning for anyone further east than me.

Sidenote: it may be that I'm confusing stuf again but for some reason I feel someone mentioning having backed the LWA 2 kickstarter and I'd love to get their opinion on what seems to have been a seemingly distinct lack of action on triggers part on getting it out.

Yeah, I've backed the LWA2 kickstarter, at a price point that was too much too, but I'm glad to talk about it! I also don't think there's a lack of action either. As far as backed projects go, it's certainly got a more solid schedule of updates, and all the updates seem to be very clear on what they're doing.

As for recording equipment, I have a Rockband Microphone, or failing that, a microphone headset. I'll test out how good they are, and if I need to get a better mic I shall do!

I looked into it briefly,and apparently the Rock Band microphones are atrocious as microphones. I suspect you'll be better off with a headset if its decent.

Huh. That's now my excuse every time I fail miserably at singing on Rockband (which isn't as often as it should be). I'll stick to my headset then. 

I've got a Snowball that I used for my previous podcast that no one listened to. Hopefully this one has more listeners?! Readers? Smellers?

I'm gonna skip this first ep, since I'm really busy this weekend. Good luck folks!!

So I was thinking over dinner, and I think it wouldn't be bad if we had a rough script reference whilst we record. I think it might help us in any lull in the recording. I also think we should choose a host now to captain the good ship mouth flaps.

Here's what I was thinking:

Intro:

• Introduce ourselves (I don't mind using my real name. I don't mind if people would prefer to use handles though)
  • Introduce the show, what it's about.
  • What we've been watching

LWA:

• Thoughts, impressions, all that good stuff
  • LWA2 kickstarter
  • Favourite bits.

Outro:

• General wrap up
  • I might make a stupid game that we can play, if you're up for that
  • What to watch for the next episode?

Idk, it's a tad bare, but it might be a start?

Idk, it's a tad bare, but it might be a start?

Well, I think it looks good to me. We need room for stuff to happen in between the demands of the format, right? If four or five of us take five minutes each to talk about what we've been watching, that's twenty or twenty-five minutes. It'll be fine!

I have a kinda small watch set out in preparation: apart from LWA itself I'm going to try & re-watch Kiki's Delivery Service & at least a couple of episodes of Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi and maybe a episode or two of Kill La Kill if i get the time

A recurring feature (stupid game) is always good for structure. Even something as basic as the reader mail segment for idle thumbs.

For instance, if twig is one of the recurring hosts, he could do a "why this weeks anime is better than Eva" bit every episode.

Even something as basic as "if you liked this show, you might like X" to close out the program. Knowing the leanings of many of the posters here, brief comments on representation might be appropriate. (this show is sooooo sexist..."how sexist is it?")

I have some thoughts about trying to apply modern US/anglo centric cultural norms to a disrinctly foreign cultural product...but that's a different conversation.

I have a kinda small watch set out in preparation: apart from LWA itself I'm going to try & re-watch Kiki's Delivery Service & at least a couple of episodes of Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi and maybe a episode or two of Kill La Kill if i get the time

Good call! Abenobashi is one of the two golden-age GAINAX anime that I haven't seen. I'll be looking forward to your comments, very much.

A recurring feature (stupid game) is always good for structure. Even something as basic as the reader mail segment for idle thumbs.

For instance, if twig is one of the recurring hosts, he could do a "why this weeks anime is better than Eva" bit every episode.

Even something as basic as "if you liked this show, you might like X" to close out the program. Knowing the leanings of many of the posters here, brief comments on representation might be appropriate. (this show is sooooo sexist..."how sexist is it?")

I have some thoughts about trying to apply modern US/anglo centric cultural norms to a disrinctly foreign cultural product...but that's a different conversation.

I'm really wary of "bits" in podcasts. I'm fine with reader mail or "if you like this" recommendations, but anything more formalized would rub me the wrong way. Also, it helps no one for me to have to murder Twig!

Personally, I like recurring bits because they structure the listening experience. Am I almost done, or just 50% through? Will this last me the 20 mins through my bike ride home, or will I need to Futz with my phone halfway through? I could look at the progress bar, but who has time for that?

Anyways, yeah, just personal preference.

Personally, I like recurring bits because they structure the listening experience. Am I almost done, or just 50% through? Will this last me the 20 mins through my bike ride home, or will I need to Futz with my phone halfway through? I could look at the progress bar, but who has time for that?

Anyways, yeah, just personal preference.

My favourite 'bit' in any podcast is the 3x3 section of The Quarter to Three Movie Podcast.

It a reallly simple concept the three hosts list their 'top three <whatever> In films'.

Its great because it allows them to take it ultra seriously or not as the mood takes them, while bringing up concentrated little anecdotes about how a particular moment, or character, or shot, worked for them. I will happily listen to that section even if I haven't seen the film because you get a wide variety of films in a relatively short time, and the briefness means your given just enough information to think 'I'd really like to see that now'.

My favourite 'bit' in any podcast is the 3x3 section of The Quarter to Three Movie Podcast.

It a reallly simple concept the three hosts list their 'top three <whatever> In films'.

Its great because it allows them to take it ultra seriously or not as the mood takes them, while bringing up concentrated little anecdotes about how a particular moment, or character, or shot, worked for them. I will happily listen to that section even if I haven't seen the film because you get a wide variety of films in a relatively short time, and the briefness means your given just enough information to think 'I'd really like to see that now'.

Yeah, I'm not entirely against that, but the 3x3 is a long segment that obviously fatigues the hosts some weeks, so I'm not willing to commit us to something like that, especially with a rotating panel, until we've had at least one session that gives me a feel for our vibe. One of the biggest reasons I haven't gotten on board with any podcast on anime thus far has been a near-ubiquitous obsession with segments-based content, as if there isn't enough to talk about in anime itself, so I definitely want to prioritize the "free talk" and "spotlight" segments over anything more contrived... which is not to say that I'll veto everything, I just don't want a bunch of "bits" there to fill up time.