There's been enough interest from Idle Thumbs forum members for us to start talking seriously about forming a podcast group about anime. This will be the thread for us to do that!

Codicier made a good post in the Anime thread about the format he envisions for such a podcast. For the most part, I agree with it. That means the podcast might have:

• A structure divided between a "Whatcha Watchin'" free-talk segment and a one-show (or one-season) spotlight discussion. Shirobako has been suggested for the first "spotlight" anime because it just finished and people loved (and hated) it.
  • One or two "main" hosts who wrangle people to fill up episode panels and provide continuity between episodes. I have been recommended for this position.
  • A pool of people, unspecified in size, who are willing to come onto an episode and talk about what they've watched lately and the show being spotlighted.
  • One or more editors willing to cut together multiple audio files recorded locally, possibly with a backup recording of the full Skype or Mumble conversation. Codicier and Coods have both volunteered for this position and I am willing to learn it, too.
  • A webpage and hosting, I guess? I haven't really thought about this part at all.

Is that it? I think that's it. Of course, all of the above is negotiable. Half the reason that I want to start an anime podcast is that none of the ones out there right now are any good. They either have a ridiculously rigid format or too much inside baseball to hold my attention. With the cool people I've met in this forum, I'd like to build something that is the exception to the rule, where smart discussions happen about a medium that I love.

People who have expressed an interest in appearing on this podcast: Coods, N1njaSquirrel, Twig, Gormongous, Codicier, Roderick, Blambo... you? Seriously, this podcast will suck like all the rest if we just pack the panel full of know-it-alls who can tell Kawasumi Ayako from Noto Mamiko after a single spoken line. If you like anime and want to talk about it, chime in with your thoughts here!

Also, urgently seeking better thread title (and possibly podcast title). PM me ASAP with ideas.

Episode list:

Key Frames Episode 00 - "Don't Feed the Dragon"

Key Frames Episode 01 - "Gasbag and the Bomb Guy"

Key Frames Episode 02 - "I Have No Coffee and I Must Scream"

Key Frames Episode 03 - "It's a Doc-Eat-Dog World"

Key Frames Episode 04 - "Taste the Rain"

Key Frames Episode 05 - "Samurai Hacklash"

Requesting the position of Full-Time Sports Anime Shill. Five minutes every episode to talk about my latest obsession.

Thank you.

I would like to participate eventually once I get a better mic and if I haven't pissed off others by that point :P

Awesome, all will be welcome!

Requesting the position of Full-Time Sports Anime Shill. Five minutes every episode to talk about my latest obsession.

Thank you.

How's your Rodkin and/or your Breckon? I'll consider it.

Seriously though, if all you watch is sports anime, then of course that'll be what you talk about every week (or month or whatever). And that's cool, too. Way too much of the anime community online (including us here, at times) is devoted to sniffing out "the good show," as if there aren't multiple awesome offerings even during dry seasons. Having someone stump for something evergreen like sports anime would be great.

I don't watch nearly enough anime to make any kind of contribution, but I support this fully.  Unless you have need of a random person who will appear like once or twice a year to talk incoherently about the one thing they've seen in the last 10 months.  So... I can be Nick Breckon basically.

Also I want to devote another five minutes to arguing about Dragon Ball Z with an arbitrary other person.

(Okay I'm joking about this one. Or am I?!)

I'd totally listen! (Also just a funny note, a lot of people in the US animation industry I know watch or have watched Shirobako in a constant state of pain because it can get Waaay Too Real.)

I don't watch nearly enough anime to make any kind of contribution, but I support this fully.  Unless you have need of a random person who will appear like once or twice a year to talk incoherently about the one thing they've seen in the last 10 months.  So... I can be Nick Breckon basically.

I mean, I'd like to create a podcast where that sort of appearance works with the format. The last two anime podcasts I tried to pick up both had this really awful structure of i) literally going through ANN's news digest and stating their feelings on each item, and then ii) "re-examining" a popular anime from a few years back by watching a couple episodes and agreeing that it doesn't "hold up" without much further discussion. Anything but that for us, seriously.

Also I want to devote another five minutes to arguing about Dragon Ball Z with an arbitrary other person.

No lie, I've never seen any of the Dragonball shows or movies, but one of my favorite things to do is to ask people who're really into it to explain the plot to me without skipping over anything. We'll get Zeus or somebody on and you guys can walk me through it.

No lie, I've never seen any of the Dragonball shows or movies, but one of my favorite things to do is to ask people who're really into it to explain the plot to me without skipping over anything. We'll get Zeus or somebody on and you guys can walk me through it.

DBZ is one of the few anime I have seen so I could actually talk about that sorta.  But I don't really remember most of it and stopped halfway through the Buu saga.  So probably get someone else who actually knows something or cares.

Yes, this is crucial.

Requesting position of person who hates anime and wants to talk about his self loathing for loving anime.

Requesting position of person who hates anime and wants to talk about his self loathing for loving anime.

You guys can't all be Nick Breckon!

Though to match the criteria of podcast topics you outlined above, I think a constant air of existential anxiety is perfect.

By the way I'm preempting the inevitable "Hi I'm you're Host in the Shell" pun. Now nobody can soil history with that phrase.

Let me know when you guys want to talk about Satoshi Kon's greatest work. 

the 1994 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA

Part of me really wants to be on this, and then I remember that I have an awful memory about storylines, and also, a giant stick up my ass about what anime are 'good enough' for me.

Part of me really wants to be on this, and then I remember that I have an awful memory about storylines, and also, a giant stick up my ass about what anime are 'good enough' for me.

I think i generally get where you're coming from. I'm never inclined to just sit down and blow through an anime like I used to be. I always mentally stop myself from doing it by making some argument about how its not "worth my time".

Though everything I have seen, I have a pretty solid memory about.

edit:

also, I'm super up for the rotating cast of hosts, but i think the best discussion will be had by friends, or at least people who know each other and are familiar with each other's different tastes. Having maybe 2 or 3 constants in every episode would be good.

also, I'm super up for the rotating cast of hosts, but i think the best discussion will be had by friends, or at least people who know each other and are familiar with each other's different tastes. Having maybe 2 or 3 constants in every episode would be good.

I agree. Anyone else interested in being one of the regulars? Just based on volume of posts about anime, N1njaSquirrel and Twig are good choices, but I can get on with just about anyone (and I like all y'all too, else I wouldn't be part of this forum), so we don't have to be picky.

Part of me really wants to be on this, and then I remember that I have an awful memory about storylines, and also, a giant stick up my ass about what anime are 'good enough' for me.

Eh, if you or anyone else is unsure, my feeling is that you all should still voice your willingness here. The idea is to get the ball rolling with a core group first, which will help you decide if you want to contribute once it's all in motion.

Yeah I'd definitely be interested in doing it regularly except I don't really believe I'll have anything interesting to say. But who knows.

I'd be more than happy to be a regular! even a main host, if y'all let me!

As for where we can put it up, I know a lot of podcasts like Regular Features and Twig-favourite Daft Souls primarily use Sound Cloud to host the actual shows, as I guess it has some sorta in-built RSS for podcasts?

Eh, if you or anyone else is unsure, my feeling is that you all should still voice your willingness here. The idea is to get the ball rolling with a core group first, which will help you decide if you want to contribute once it's all in motion.

I appreciate the encouragement! I definitely would be willing, but I also feel like having a few dry runs may not be the worst idea to weed out my conversational tendencies that don't really fit into a podcast well.

Glad you got this rolling Gorm, may i suggest a couple of things(when i say things what i mean is lists) :

Firstly and most importantly you make a list in your OP of the time zones potential members of the pod are in, so we can try and figure out who overlaps with who the best/worst.  (Being a Brit i'm GMT)

It's only after we know how well our core team overlaps that we can really get this rolling because it might not matter how enthusiastic someone is to be a regular if the rest of the core are on a utterly different timezone. (This is important for Hosting duties in particular).

Once you have a idea of who the core will be there's a whole bunch of little but important "logistical" type things to be decided which although everyone should feel free to suggest feedback on will probably come down to the core to decide, and you should prob put a To Do list of them in the OP (in the order of which they need to be decided).

I'm just going to throw out some intial thing and let gorm build his list using whichever ones he feels are important:

- How often to record

- How long should a (avergae) episode to be 

- Would Pod members use realm names or "stage/forum" names (as silly as this seems i can imagine legit reasons why people might not want to cast under a real name)

- The name of the Pod

- A logo of the Pod 

- Hosting/RSS Feed for the Pod itself 

- What would should any Website/Blog/whatever do? (should there be shownotes? a comment section? links to clips? so on)

- Intro Music? Needed? Not Needed? I'll be damned if i know but most shows seem to have it.

This is exactly the kind of podcast I want format wise and reading this thread ye are the kind of people I would find interesting to listen.

For the spotlight anime part of the episode having someone on it with a decent synopsis prepared of what happened for what you watch is very handy especially if there are lot of things going on.

Doing an audio only podcast takes a bit of getting used cause it's really easy to talk over people which I didn't realise how bad I was at it till I listened to an episode. 

I'd be interested in appearing, but I don't really keep up with shows... I have seen a decent amount of anime, but I tend to watch it long after its released and then disagree with everyone. But I think this is a cool idea. I've never really listened or heard of any other anime podcasts, but I would listen to this one because people who like Idle Thumbs are cool.

Yes, I'd love to participate, perhaps not as a regular (I don't watch nearly enough anime for that), but certainly every once in a while if the topic's right for me. In that case it might be good to post the topic ahead of time, so everyone can decide whether to chip in or not.

Also, I read tons more manga than watching anime. Is manga off limits? It seems such a one-two punch to do both. Obvious, almost. I'd also have a lot more material to work with, with A Bride's Story, Vinland Saga, and this fantastic thing I've been reading lately by Gegege no Kitaro author Shigeru Mizuki, a manga called Nonnonba - a childhood reverie infused with yokai sightings. It's funny and tragic and expressive.

I don't think manga's off limits. It'd be especially interesting for when said manga becomes an anime.

I suggest we do a pilot, say next weekend? I also think for a pilot we should discuss an anime that's short and sweet, so I'm thinking Little Witch Academia. It's trigger's first attempt at an anime (bar Inferno Cop), and you can compare it to stuff like FLCL and Kill La Kill, and it's only one episode long, so shouldn't take too much time out of peoples lives. It's also ace.

Thoughts?