tberton

Maximum Axiom Verge Urge

The aesthetic has a very Contra looking vibe to it. And this is a Metroidvania style game? That'll be interesting enough.

I really, really want to play this game. I don't usually have a "most anticipated" list rolling around in my head, but this has been on my mind as a game I have been waiting to consume for months now. And it will be for months more because I'm waiting for the PC release!

A weird thing- I can't wait for people to speed run this. That's not a thing I generally ever think.

So, I mentioned this in the Metroid thread, but Axiom Verge is now out on the PS4 and is coming soon to PC. The US Gamer review is quite effusive, and when Jeremy Parish says that a Metroidvania is good, its usually worth listening.

Gotta say, that review and Parish's comments about the game did way more to pique my interest than the trailer I saw. I want to buy it now, rather than planning to wait for it to (probably) hit PS+ in a few months.

I read Gurstman's review on giant bomb. He really likes it, and that guy hates video games. I'll probably pick it up once it hits vita, or when I'm done with bloodborne.

Axiom Verge is looking really good, so now is not an ideal time for my controller to give up the ghost *sadface*

Did Jeremy Parish coin the term "metroidvania"?

I know nothing about this game, but just wanted to step in and say that that's a mighty fine thread title.

Thank you. I'll be honest, the main motivation for starting the thread was the chance to use that title.

Axiom Verge is looking really good, so now is not an ideal time for my controller to give up the ghost *sadface*

I've always heard that he did, but I've never actually looked that deep into it.

He did, and he is very sorry because it was supposed to be supplanted by a better name.

Which is...

Someone was supposed to come up with one and no-one ever did.

Is there any definite release date for the PC version? I've looked around and not found anything.

I'm super excited to get my hands on this.

The US Gamer review has May listed as the Steam release, but I haven't seen that confirmed elsewhere.

You know, it is rather sad that the term is "Metroidvania" when it's likely we'll never get another Metroid or Castlevania, specially a "Metroidvania" one.

Anyway, most game genres names are dumb. XP

So mainly thanks to this great named thread, I picked up this game. It's pretty ace. There's some really neat weapons, which feel unique and different than what's come before, and there's some cool boss designs too. I also like the writing. The main guy is likeable, and he reacts to things in a logical way too. idk, it's a lot of fun! Who's played it?

I've just gotten a little deeper in, and man, this game is really good.  Some of the video effect stuff they do looks incredible, and I'm really enjoying the gameplay.

EDIT: Yep, got another few bosses in, and this game is really doing it for me.

I finished this yesterday, and I think it's really good! Except for the last boss, which is a pile of garbage!

Not because it's hard, but because it's incredibly dependent on getting good RNG. It summons extra helpers whose attacks are almost impossible to avoid and do a decent amount of damage. Using the Super Bomb equivalent weakens them, but then you're waiting for one to drop ammo in order to kill the things fast enough to not die, and you also need them to drop health to refill your HP so you can survive more of them and hurt the boss itself. I had to redo the fight a few times not because it was hard, but because 2-3 waves of helpers passed without any drops and I just lost through attrition.

I feel like I might as well have just walked into a room where a guy says, "I'm going to flip this coin. If it's heads, you get to see the ending. If it's tails, you get sent to the save point two rooms back! TAILS! BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME!"

Well I fell down a ravine and can't get up. There are a couple of out-of-reach platforms, and nothing else dow here. Since it's 2015, I felt confident a game wouldn't put me in a hole without any way out, so I spent a good while trying everything I can, namely jumping around, shooting, drilling and disrupting, but nothing happened, and I'm wondering which of these are true:

• This shitty game puts the player in a hole with no way out other than to restart the game,
  • This shitty guy is missing some obvious trick or technique, or is constantly ignoring some obvious visual hint in the environment.