Sign in to follow this  
tegan

Cause and Direct: A Nintendo Direct Thread

I figured we needed a catch-all thread for Nintendo Directs since they come fast and frequent and usually get shuffled into the 3DS, Wii U, and business threads. There's a new one tomorrow!

fpVCKUO.jpg

I predict Splatoon, Mario Maker, maybe a little Xenoblade, and not a whole lot else.

Yoshi's Woolly World and StarFox I think will be shown. Also I actually expect them to show off something we haven't seen before.

(please be Metroid)

What I'm hoping for is some actual information on what the new account stuff will entail. What I'm expecting is nothing at all about that.

What I'm hoping for is some actual information on what the new account stuff will entail. What I'm expecting is nothing at all about that.

With Nintendo having only finalized their DeNA deal like two weeks ago, I expect that the new unified account system is still up in the air.

Don't know if they'll be covering it during the Direct, but Nintendo just posted the Elite Rewards for NA. As usual, Club Nintendo site is down so check out this news post - http://www.vg247.com/2015/04/01/club-nintendo-elite-status-rewards-north-america/

Kinda underwhelming, pretty sure I'll grab Tropical Freeze as practically nothing else is jumping out at me as even moderately interesting except maybe Animal Crossing though I think the zeitgeist has completely passed on it.

I got Animal Crossing for Valentimes this year and have only missed 1 day since. I've seen at least one thumbelina online playing as well periodically in the past month as well.

The Australian website for the Direct is rated MA15+, so I suspect Devil's Third will be shown off. I feel like we've seen that game forever though, I thought it would be out by now. Also, 20 minute countdown has started on it, haha. 

Kinda underwhelming, pretty sure I'll grab Tropical Freeze as practically nothing else is jumping out at me as even moderately interesting except maybe Animal Crossing though I think the zeitgeist has completely passed on it.

For what it's worth, I have thus far sank 490 hours into that game and recently got back into playing it every day.

It's over! Highlights:

• SMTxFE still exists and looks amazing
  • I still hate Yoshi, but I want one of those yarn amiibos
  • Smash character voting is going to be a clusterfuck. Goku confirmed
  • DS and N64 games on Wii U! Finally! DK64 is a terrible game, but I'm kind of amazed they managed to get it rereleased
  • an Animal Crossing game with NFC trading cards about interior design is basically everything I want out of life
  • I can't believe they did a trailer for a difficulty level
  • Splatoon looks pretty rad still. Now release it already
  • About damn time we got Fatal Frame. It's perfect for Nintendo right now, since it's one of the only games actually improved by the gamepad and since everyone's into horror games right now.

Additional highlight -

• New 2016 Fire Emblem (not SMTxFE) looks really rad, you play the protagonist and choose a side in a split campaign that seems to favor multiple playthroughs.

I'm really stoked about the FE stuff in general, plus Splatoon looks great. Also, props to Nintendo for all the mapping/config options in the DS/N64 VC stuff. Looks solid.

Additional props for patching Code Name STEAM to fix what is apparently the worst part of it.

Oh, also, I love that Nintendo is making a zombie invasion shooter in the most Nintendo-ass way possible. Also, I'm sure I'll buy it, but that weird paid version of Streetpass Plaza was very ill-defined.

Ah, so Fatal Frame must have been the MA15+ game. We didn't see anything of Devil's Third at all. But that's fine, way more interested in Fatal Frame anyway.

I'm looking forward to 200CC! Codename STEAM hasn't been released in Australia yet, I wonder if that version will come with the speed-up patch included. I can't wait for Splatoon, and those amiibo look great. I think I will buy just the girl Inkling. 

Man that was a good Nintendo Direct. Lots of cool stuff for everyone.

Splatoon continues to look rad as heck!

I thought that was pretty good too. No massive things but wave after wave of cool stuff.

After getting Mega Man in the post today I decided it was time to give the Amiibos a rest for a while. That seems to have lasted a solid 12 hours.

I'm having real trouble getting 3 stars on 150cc. 200 looks insane.

That Sonic Mii amiibo costume is sweet! Love the eyes. Glad somebody is putting out quality Sonic content-amirite?!?! Boom.

FE looks great. Yoshi's Wooly World looks great. Mario Maker looks great. Splatoon looks great. The Mario Kart DLC looks great.

So then, pretty great.

Additional highlight -

• New 2016 Fire Emblem (not SMTxFE) looks really rad, you play the protagonist and choose a side in a split campaign that seems to favor multiple playthroughs.

I'm really stoked about the FE stuff in general, plus Splatoon looks great. Also, props to Nintendo for all the mapping/config options in the DS/N64 VC stuff. Looks solid.

This got me. Sounds really good. Although it looks like the "side" of the campaign you choose is limited to which copy you buy (like Pokemon), although they're letting you buy the other campaign as DLC.

It's kind of worried me about the WiiU release catalogue in 2015. What's left to come out? 3 games?

This got me. Sounds really good. Although it looks like the "side" of the campaign you choose is limited to which copy you buy (like Pokemon), although they're letting you buy the other campaign as DLC.

What really? I got the impression that you'd get to choose the side in the game, not that there are 2 games. 

I dunno, I don't think people would be up for buying the game twice to play the different story lines in the UK/US, let alone Fire Emblem, as I get the impression that it's not that popular still over here. 

We also didn't get MonHun 4 when it came out like 2 years ago in Japan, instead having to wait for the Ultimate edition, presumably because they reckoned it wouldn't sell well twice over here.

Thing is, the new Fire Emblem sold gangbusters. In North America, it's likely sold more than 400k units, and in Japan it sold over 450k units. No numbers have been released about it since September 2013 either, and the tail implied on it through what sales data we have shows that it didn't seem to be falling off. None of this is counting europe either, so it easily could've beat out 1m units, or a good 20m for Nintendo. Nor does it count DLC, blah blah blah

I think as we get closer to the date, people will mind less. For one, they're not playing off the DLC like it's gonna be $40 again, so I could see it being like another $5-15(depending on if it's just a little different or a lot different). And again for the 3rd campaign.

Personally, I'm excited for this one because it isn't a last-ditch effort like the last- Awakening is in my top 10 games of all time despite being my first Fire Emblem, it's significantly impacted me to the point that if I ever get around to making a game, it's almost certainly going to have extremely heavy influences from it. This is them saying, "Oh, hey, you really like this- then lets show you what Fire Emblem is really about.", with the enhanced animations(similar to how great they were in the GBA games), noticeably amazing music, etc.

I might be overhyping though, the trailer has me over the moon.

Thing is, the new Fire Emblem sold gangbusters. In North America, it's likely sold more than 400k units, and in Japan it sold over 450k units. No numbers have been released about it since September 2013 either, and the tail implied on it through what sales data we have shows that it didn't seem to be falling off. None of this is counting europe either, so it easily could've beat out 1m units, or a good 20m for Nintendo. Nor does it count DLC, blah blah blah

I think as we get closer to the date, people will mind less. For one, they're not playing off the DLC like it's gonna be $40 again, so I could see it being like another $5-15(depending on if it's just a little different or a lot different). And again for the 3rd campaign.

That's the feeling I got too. I know there was a huge amount of buzz around FE:A when it came out in the US, and it sold me (and I'm sure plenty of others) on a 3DS in the UK. 

That said, if the EU has to wait almost a year for FE again, I wouldn't be surprised if they released a full package (aside from the special edition which is reportedly all 3 campaigns in one box).

I dunno if the US market will bear the weight of two separate FE games, might be more economical for them to just release one as not to confuse a prospective buyer (I think Pokemon gets away with this because it's a more widely known quantity). Also, I get a general feeling that retailers want to dedicate as little shelf space as possible to games. Also also, "selling gangbusters" for a Nintendo game (400k units) is not gangbusters for many other AAA games, thus potential prioritization of shelf space (if you sell 3x as many copies of COD as FE, why dedicate two spaces to FE and three for COD?)

Then again, I'm not some business expert so I may just be talking out of my butt. I'll probably just buy the special edition anyways.

They have previously sold Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Smash Bros 4 Wii U and DS, and Super Luigi U. I don't think it'd be unprecedented even if you're excluding Pokémon.