Sign in to follow this  
Brodie

Bay Area People, Lend Me Your Thumbs!

I need help.

Dr. Girlfriend and I will be moving to the South Bay and, wow, is the housing situation there gruesome. We both have pretty good jobs, but not 4k a month good and I am finding my usual methods less than fruitful in terms of results.

Any reliable resources for finding a place to live that you can recommend?

Thanks thumbs!

When my wife and I moved to San Jose a few years back, we found our apartment by driving through the neighborhoods we were interested in living in and looking for 'now renting' signs.  It was probably not the most efficient way to find an apartment but because we wanted to live in the middle of downtown, landlords don't have to work very hard to advertise their vacancies thanks to SJSU students always needing to rent.

Yeah welcome to Bay Area rents I'm afraid. When I last went apartment hunting, http://livelovely.com was really helpful because it had alerts for new listing within a set of search criteria. I owe it for my current apartment because those alerts made me the first to respond.

Where-ish do you want to live, and where are you going to be commuting to?

Doug, this is actually really helpful. Thank you :) My office is in San Carlos which we are treating as the northern boundry of our search. We want a house but fully accept that it may not happen. As for the hunt for signs method, this will be happening in a few weeks. I'm excited to be in the area.