Jake

Idle Thumbs 111: Cruisin' for a Word that Rhymes With Cruisin'

Idle Thumbs 111:

409__header.jpg

Cruisin' for a Word that Rhymes With Cruisin'

Did we just experience the Citizen Kane of weeks? The rest of you may have. Chris gets into the early days of the Planetary Annihilation alpha, Sean sits next to a man you thought you knew, and Jake is frustrated that he can't walk into a store and buy The Last Of Us like the rest of America seemed to.

Things Discussed: Planetary Annihilation, Disney Infinity, Pikmin 2, Citizen Kane

Hurray... another episode I can listen at home.

Going to live tweet, erm... live blog... no wait, live post while I listening.

You didn't touch upon the retarded backlash from Steam "users" about the PA alpha and its price. It includes gems like this:

Put up the money or wait? What kind of stupid arrogant demand is that?

even 60 is to dam high for a indie game............this is not a AAA title nor will it ever be asking for a AAA title price is just stupid n ur gonna pay for it in the long run seeing as most ppl who watned this game arent gonna cough up that much for a indie game.............

just want you to know, you are going to sell like 4 copies at this price. you already got 1.3 million dollars more than your target for kickstarter, now you are just being greedy.

Full thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/0/864970587226651407

(ugh.. AAA title bullshit)

Somebody should write down the names of all these people that are going to boycott this game, and then post a Modern Warfar 2 like screenshot.

I didn't back the kickstarter (I was going to if they needed it), and have little to no interest in playing it. I've got two friends who are die hard TA, SupCom fans and did back for a >alpha tier. They pretty much fit Chris' description of those fans on the forums who are really invested. To me, those friends are to TA/SupCom/PA like Chris and Nick are to StarCraft 2.

A lot of the anger is due to the two divergent alpha pricing philosophies at play right now:

- Alphas are incomplete, so you're paying less because there's less there at the moment (and further development is, to some degree, an unknown). Also, we need the ongoing capital so we'd rather have some money now than possibly more money later.

-Alphas are more valuable because you get to shape the ongoing game and have an even larger stake in making it good, above and beyond the traditional backer investment. Also, seeing the experience come together is really fun in itself!

Planetary Annhilation is targeted at hard-core genre fans, who are more likely to see the involvement as valuable in itself and are willing to pay MORE for an alpha. The backlash is from everyone else who's used to the former pricing model.

HOLY SHIT the ending is the greatest ever.

Awww the first few seconds of that molyneux interview was adorable, sean was so touched

Oh man. Do you want a social-enhanced store browsing experience? Have I got the marketing video for you! (Courtesy of Mington in the PS4 thread)

bonus "get in here and help me out in this multiplayer match" footage inside!

HOLY SHIT the ending is the greatest ever.

The realization that that is easy to do in Logic was one of the great realizations of our age.

People can do whatever the fuck they want with their own stuff and no one is forcing you to shell out the dough so I don't see any ACTUAL problems.

For anyone who wants to watch the Vanaman/Molyneux talk in full, here it is.

"I did a project a long time ago called Milo."

"I'm familiar."

Even though I think Sean wasn't on the cast during peak Milo hysteria, this made me laugh really hard.

The last minute of this episode... good lord.

(APPLAUDING SMILEY.)

Did you guys keep reading that Tony Hawk review and get to the part about Mountain Dew and Doritos? Because that sentence just makes the whole article like 110% more amazing.

edit: also the whole "Citizen Kane of games" tumblr concept almost deserves this sort of treatment: http://www.nohomophobes.com/#!/today/

Oh my goodness, that Tony Hawk Citizen Kane reference was incredible and legit.

Two things. When Sean said Molyneux had a Cube idea after mentioning Walking Dead, I was hoping in my heart of hearts that it was a game based off of the 90s horror movie Cube. Now that I think about it, though, I would rather Telltale make it.

Other thing, I liked 'That was the Citizen Kane of my High School experience' followed by 'Me too!'

But the drawing is with "Fuck" Nick, not Famous.

Keeping with this week's theme, there is only one adequate response to dat ending:

NFSXs.gif

I would totally go to a BarCraft (Barmin?) of the Pikmin 2 International. And then eat Olimar's Weiner.

But seriously, stream more Pikmin 2 Multiplayer.

august 16, 2013

11:48pm

bringing my diary to the 24 hour walmart again. Will have to transcribe to my tumblr later. A hassle, but rome wasn't built in a day!(self deprecating laughter) Finding myself in the juice isle again, god, same as always. Staring down all these myriad juices. That damn dilemma. The Kane Dilemma, I've come to call it. God, how the hours pass. Touching every juice. Examining labels from every angle, running my hands over packaging. Which one is the Citizen Kane of juices? Glance down at my hand - force it to unclench - and examine the crumpled dollars. Enough for more then one. Two? Maybe even three with coupons. Three juices. Better odds, but there are so many choices. What if I get the Shawshank Redemption or Amadeus? Good juices, hell, maybe even great juices - but no one would call them pivotal... (the rest of the writing is illegible)

I bet you could convince the Roxie to host a night of screening a Pikman 2 competition.

The ending reminded me of the ridiculous demos on old Casio keyboards like the SK-1. The sample adds to that vibe.