syntheticgerbil

Xbox Gold Accounts

Here's a shameless thread:

Anyone have any ideas where to find these amazing deals on a year of Xbox Live Gold accounts? I want to save bucks. Apparently these deals exist.

These deals.

I could use this too. I frequently see a year for $50, but that barely qualifies as a deal since they increased the price to $60 a year ago or so.

Best thing to do is just check a site like deals.woot.com regularly. Every couple of months Amazon, Buy.com, and Ebay sellers will drop the price down to around $35 for a year. But I havent really noticed a pattern.

Can anyone explain what the appeal of Xbox Gold even is? I'm hesitant to play multiplayer because of the horror stories I've heard, and as an Australian many of the media features don't exist. And my housemate has a PS3, and many of what is available is fee-free on the PS3.

Is it just Netflix?

Can anyone explain what the appeal of Xbox Gold even is? I'm hesitant to play multiplayer because of the horror stories I've heard

Don't worry, the rumours about mummies and unstoppable killers sneaking into your house whilst playing Xbox Live Gold are just that... rumours.

Is it just Netflix?

Yes. That's the only thing I use it for, anyway.

Don't worry, the rumours about mummies and unstoppable killers sneaking into your house whilst playing Xbox Live Gold are just that... rumours.

What about unsupervised 12-year-olds who speak mostly in homophobic slurs? Because I don't want them eating all my biscuits.

Can anyone explain what the appeal of Xbox Gold even is? I'm hesitant to play multiplayer because of the horror stories I've heard, and as an Australian many of the media features don't exist. And my housemate has a PS3, and many of what is available is fee-free on the PS3.

Is it just Netflix?

I'm pretty sure you can't play most 360 games online without it, which is presumably why 90% of people buy it right there. I don't really do any console multiplayer, but obviously a ginormous amount of people do.

12 month cards are on sale pretty regularly on Amazon: http://camelcamelcam...duct/B0029LJIFG

Ah thank you. I did see they were at $50 but I was hoping I could find an even better deal. $40 isn't so bad, I'll have to keep a look out.

Is it just Netflix?

I tend to do everything for free on PS3 for online gaming and Netflix or Hulu. I'm looking to see if I can get an okay deal for my friend and I to play some exclusive 360 games (Trenched and Splosion Man first). Since we are not really heavy Xbox users, to pay $60 for an account for a year of that we probably won't use much really sucks. There's 3 month deals for $20 but that kind of seems like a rip off and plus we then have to rush through our games before the accounts expire. Adult life leaves us too busy to schedule some good time sinks.

I guess I swore I've heard before of $20 specials for a years worth of time, but I'm not sure where you seek those.

Worth noting that Trenched, at least, is now on PC, if that's a viable option for you.

I had Gold account for a month and noticed I don't really need it at this point unless it can be got for free through some deal. I wouldn't pay for it.

Also it is completely insane that you need to pay to Microsoft to use Netflix because you need to pay Netflix also. So you are paying double what you are paying when using any other Netflix compatible device.

Hmm, that's almost a $40 deal, if we consider Halo 4 to be $60. Maybe I can ask the Halo fan at work if he wants to buy that and then I'll buy the codes from him for $40.

I've had a Gold account for years... Pretty sure you can't play multiplayer without it, right?

I think some people don't feel especially compelled to play multiplayer on Xbox. I keep paying for Gold, but it must have been a few months since I played any multiplayer on that thing. But of course, if you do want to play multiplayer, you will need it.

Also, what do you mean about "horror stories"?

I'd guess it'd be the stereotype of discriminatory teenagers spouting abuse over voice chat.

I got another one of those gushing email from Microsoft today thanking me for being an xbox live gold member. And the email had this stat

Mington,

in the past year, you've

accumulated 31 hours of

multiplayer time.

wow what a waste of money, when you think its just over 30mins a week :/ i don't think i'll bother when it comes to renewing. All my most anticipated games of next year are single player titles (bioshock, MGR revengance, Lord of shadow 2)

The year before i spent hundreds of hours on Street Fighter 4 and (for my sins) COD. I'm pretty sure i only bought this years subscription in anticipation of Street fighter x tekken which turned out to be balls

yeah i thought that, you'd think they'd whack a bit of dynamic content in the email that if someone played less than 50 hours don't show the stat.

Its like a gym saying you've spent £300 with us this year and only visited 5 times! Thanks fatso

I got another one of those gushing email from Microsoft today thanking me for being an xbox live gold member. And the email had this stat

Mington,

in the past year, you've

accumulated 31 hours of

multiplayer time.

wow what a waste of money, when you think its just over 30mins a week :/ i don't think i'll bother when it comes to renewing. All my most anticipated games of next year are single player titles (bioshock, MGR revengance, Lord of shadow 2)

The year before i spent hundreds of hours on Street Fighter 4 and (for my sins) COD. I'm pretty sure i only bought this years subscription in anticipation of Street fighter x tekken which turned out to be balls

Haha. That's pretty much an epic fail from Microsoft's marketing department.

I've not renewed my Gold subscription since I first got my 360 years ago. I just don't spend any real time on multiplayer, and even when I occasionally have my friends have been on the PS3 or PC instead. Other than that I can't see any real benefits I get from a subscription and I haven't missed it in the slightest. I do remember it being a complete pain in the arse to cancel my auto-renewal, though — had to phone and everything. What a pain in the arse.

Its pretty easy to find cards for $35 on amazon. When they go on sale they tend to stay on sale for a good long while, so there's no need to stay extremely vigilant.

As far as why I pay for live, its really just because its my best solution for watching Hulu, Netflix and whatnot and its works out to three bucks a month.

I am surprised that my stat says I've spent 57 hours in the last year on multiplayer but a whopping 354 hours on TV/movie Apps.

That has to be wrong as I have dropped at least 20 hours in Awesomenauts alone.